More information about the individual buildings of the precinct is provided below, but please also click the white buttons for images of these buildings.
The Newarke was an extension of the Castle precinct, although it is difficult now to differentiate them. The Castle precinct was a ‘liberty’, outside the authority of the borough. The Earl of Lancaster developed the Newarke as a secular college (college of priests or chaplains) adjacent to the castle. Until the middle of the 18th century, new mayors had to process to the Castle precinct to swear an oath of allegiance and on entering the ‘liberty’, the mace was lowered as a sign of deference. By the Municipal Corporations Act of 1835, the precinct was absorbed into the authority of the borough. In this compact area, outstanding buildings and sites of the late 11th to the 20th centuries are concentrated, concluding with the Queen’s Building of DMU on Bonner Lane.






Now contained within the Newarke Houses Museum, Skeffington House was originally a distinct building distinguished by its steep gables to the central façade and the crenellated parapet.

Although the stone construction is earlier, the timber-framed (close-studded) structures over the gateways were erected later, probably in the mid 1450s.

Although preserved as an island in the middle of a complex road system between Oxford St. and Vaughan Way, the building now known as the Magazine has experienced a variety of uses.

With the rapid expansion of DeMontfort University in the 1990s, revitalising the Newarke precinct and its environs, many buildings in this area have been converted to higher educational use. Additionally, however, DMU has been responsible for the development of some extraordinarily interesting new builds, the principal of which is probably the Queen's Building.