1874-6. Architect: F. J. Hames


The old town hall at the Guildhall in Town Hall Lane had, by 1872, become both inadequate in size and also not commensurate with the new civic and municipal authority which was developing in the 1870s. Coincidentally, the location of the livestock market in Horsefair Street had become undesirable. Fittingly, therefore, that market was relocated to Freemen's Common as the new Cattle Market, the site in Horsefair Street being redeveloped for the new 'municipal buildings' and the garden in Town Hall Square.